Thursday, October 30, 2008

First F*** Up . . .

And it ain't mine.

Today The Old Boot and I headed out of the house at 8 AM to get to CancerCare in time for my 9 AM appointment. I am always amazed at the amount of traffic headed into the downtown; it makes me nervous and I get rather snippy with The Old Boot because he insists on driving my car and I am not a good passenger in my own car. I am much better if I'm driving. The traffic doesn't bother me anywhere near as much.

After a tense drive over the CancerCare, it was a relief to get to a parking spot, walk to CancerCare, and find the clinic where my appointment was.

When we checked in, the receptionist couldn't find my paperwork, so we were asked to sit down. In a few minutes, a nurse comes out and, after apologizing, tells us there has been a mistake and that the doctor I am to see isn't even in the office today. Well, consarn it all anyhow!

Having worked in medical offices, I know that once in a while, someone falls between the cracks, especially when you have doctors that work at more than one location, such as the oncologist I was to see. It is just the way things go; no matter how careful people are there are sometimes miscommunications between the offices, and there is simply no point in getting worked up and angry about it. So I was gracious, told the nurse it was not a problem, and she promised to get us booked in again as soon as possible.

The time at HSC was not totally wasted; I took a thank-you card up to the staff on GH-3 where I recovered from surgery, and we popped in to visit The Old Boot's aunt who works at HSC.

Once we got home, mom had already had a call from the doctor's office rebooking my appointment to next Thursday, November 6, same time, same place - one more week to find out what the next steps will be.

-- Lori

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lori, Your tenacity it showing! Good job!!
Love, Brenda Wood

Kim said...

Hi Lori
Thank you for sharing your blog address with me. Your journey. I always knew how wonderful you were but now I get to see how wonderfully determined you are! You are an inspiration. You go girl! It does seem like you have it all handled, you don't need my advice. So instead, I just wanted to offer you a HUG and HOPE. Something, no matter what we can always have.
Thanks again for sharing!
Love your cousin Kim