Monday, October 20, 2008

Readjusting . . .

Good morning, folks!

I thought I had better post something today to let you all know that things are going pretty well. I am eating a little better every day, gaining a little more strength and stamina every day, and am generally on the mend.

However, I am having some difficulty readjusting to life at home, mainly because I have to behave so differently. At home, I'm used to doing this, doing that, cleaning, cooking, etc., but I find myself unable to do much. So I am struggling (weakly) to just let others take care of me and not get too wound up when I can't do something that I ordinarily would do.

In hospital, it was easy to let others do everything - the setting is so different. All you have to do is relax, do as you're told, and trust in the people around you to help you get well. The hospital has its own rhythm, and that also helps because after a few days, you know when bloodwork is done, when you'll get your Heparin shot, when breakfast, lunch and supper are served. You just rely on the hospital rhythm to choreograph your day.

At home, I find I want to fall into my old rhythm but I can't, because I'm an "invalid". So I am working toward building a different rhythm for this time: several short walks a day, regular meal times, naps in the afternoon, that kind of thing. But it's hard.

-- Lori

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lori, I want you to know that you are certainly in my thoughts and prayers and that since Carol K. sent me your blog just before your surgery, I have been viewing your updates. You are certainly an inspiration to all of us with your upbeat and positive attitude. Wishing you brighter tomorrows! Regards, Anne H.

Anonymous said...

Hey Lori,
Just wanted to let you know I have been thinking about you and wishing you well. Just sit back and let your family care for you. You deserve it.

Sharon at the b.o.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that you are home now and on the mend. Thinking of you and your family daily. Like others have said Lori, you are an inspiration to us all. Take care!

Jan Wilkes-Baldwin