Monday, October 13, 2008

Hey Doc, What's For Lunch?

Hi everyone.

It is October 13 (Thanks Giving Day), ten days from the day of surgery. I'm sure that by now you are wondering what has been going on in the recovery room of our Lori. I am happy to announce that Lori is growing stronger by the day and is quite capable of being a real nusiance in the hallways of the ward. She is able to move herself around with relative ease and has pretty much weaned herself off of the morphine and is seeing the world through the eyes of a rehabilitated junkie once again.

Yesterday marked the day of Lori's first taste of food. They claimed to have served her a consome, jello and a cup of the house tea. In reality, the consome actually smelled like chiken soup, but the jello is terribly bland and the tea tastes like reheated mop bucket water.

Today Lori was hoping to have an actual bowl of chicken noodle soup. But I don't think she got to. She did manage to get another broth, a jello that I'm sure you could use as a tile grout and some ice cream that was actually already past its expiration date by Lori's observation. She said it tasted old, like it had that freezer skin outer layer taste to it. MMMMMMM yummy.

We have also reached another milestone in Lori's recovery. Today she got her staples out and the incision is healing very nicely. Cindy Smith (a very dear friend of Lori's) was present at her side to witness the removal of the staples. I would have loved to have been there for that one, but hey, you snooze you lose, right? Lori got the staple remover as a keepsake,they were just going to throw it out anyway. What a memento. I know exactly why she got it though. She wants to pinch me with it, I'm sure.

Lori wants me to tell all of you how very much she appreciates all of your visits, your cards, your flowers, shawls, prayer blankets and baskets of beautiful gifts that you have lovingly given her. You are all so very important in her life, and although it is not often enough said, you must know that you are loved. Thank you all so very very much.

As we see it, if Lori continues to heal at the rate that she is going,it should not be long at all before we can bring her home to relax in the comfort of her home. The doctors say that she could not go home till she can eat. Well, it might be hospital food, but it's still concidered eating, so we are nearing our release date at a very good pace.

Well, thats my update for now. I hope you all enjoy my musings and are able to slip in for a little visit to help break up Lori's day.

I am sincerely

The ole boot

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is so good to hear that Lori is healing so fast. Please pass on my hello, and thinking of her, wish I was closer to pop in. I will be stuck down here in Texas till next Spring. Cheers

Janice Wilkes-Baldwin