Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Just a Few Thoughts . . .

On Monday mom and I went shopping, I to get my new cell phone activated and she to have a browse in the bookstore for recipe books aimed at feeding a cancer survivor well. She found a book called Crazy Sexy Cancer Survivor, by Kris Carr. It's the second of two books and is sort of a workbook for the first, the first being Crazy Sexy Cancer Tips. Well, the highly twisted, demented and irreverent sense of humor of the book matches my own so I just had to go back yesterday and buy the first book!

Most of yesterday I spent reading Crazy Sexy Cancer Tips (I was kind of tired out from the play Monday night and needed a lazy day). I laughed, I cried, I thought deep thoughts, I plumbed some personal depths that haven't been plumbed in years. I have definitely found a resource that will help me plan out some of the next steps of my cancer journey, a resource that is lighthearted but serious, as opposed to one book I started to read that was kind of doom and gloom, do-this-or-you-die heavy. Yuck. Don't need that in my life. Never finished that book.

Tomorrow is the big day, the preliminary meeting with my oncologist at CancerCare. I woke up at about 3 AM and couldn't get back to sleep so I did some research on the commonly used chemotherapy drugs used for pancreatic cancer. I don't do this research to scare myself, although that sometimes happens. I do it so I can ask intelligent questions of the doctors and nurses, so I have some background knowledge as a framework for moving forward with my medical posse.

I even did one of the things we patients are always told to do: I made a list of questions to ask the doctor. So sometime after the appointment tomorrow, I'll hopefully be posting some more news about the next steps on my path.

Stay tuned!

-- L

No comments: