Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Chemotherapy Begins Again . . .

Yesterday was the first day of a new round of chemotherapy with the same drugs I had the last round. This first week I got the two "easy" drugs with only a few side effects, so I am expecting to have not too bad a week.

I haven't heard from Dr. Cutie about what the CT scan showed, so I am assuming I won't hear until I see him on March 26. As of Sunday night, the fluid buildup around my organs was at its highest - my waist measured 35 inches around. The highest it had been before was 33.5 inches. Since I measure every night, I should know in the next couple of days if the chemotherapy is working to reduce it again. I hope it does; it's probably the worst thing I am dealing with right now because the buildup makes it hard to take a deep breath, hard to find a comfortable sleeping position, and it also makes eating more difficult because it puts pressure on my stomach and I feel full right away. So I am trying to eat lots of little meals instead of three big ones every day.

On the brighter side of things, haven't we been having beautiful weather these past few days? It has been such a lift to my spirits to be able to go outside and sit on my front step in the afternoon and just soak up the sunshine. I am also enjoying not having to be bundled up in all the accoutrements of winter (coat, boots, hat, scarf, etc.) and being able to throw on a light jacket and gloves to go outside. I stood in our backyard for a few minutes yesterday afternoon and just listened to the water dripping off the buildings; it sounded like it was raining, the water is melting so quickly!

My parents have been enjoying the melt as well. They are very active people and will do any little job that needs doing. For the past few days, they have been working on keeping the front sidewalk clear of water and shovelling away as much slushy snow as possible. Our front sidewalk, by the way, is pretty much a lake during the spring melt because it dips down right in front of our gate. This is a job I usually do because it's a good excuse to play in the puddles. I guess my folks enjoy playing in the puddles as much as I do!

Another few days like this and the snow will be pretty much gone. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

I really want to get out to see my sister and the herd on Friday, and the forecast so far looks good. I'm hoping that as soon as the snow is gone, and my sister's new mare is healed up from an injury, we'll be able to do a little riding. I haven't been on a horse in probably 25 years, so I am very much looking forward to it. I've even been doing yoga stretches to get my legs in shape for the long strech across the saddle!

Here's hoping the warm weather holds!

-- Lori

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lori, Here's hopin' that "easy chemo" gets rid of the liquid for you. Yes, it must be uncomfortable. The sun does have quite a bit of heat in it now. We just have to get rid of the cold wind, although wind does dry up things too. It's good that you can get outside and enjoy the fresh air. Too bad I miss seeing you on those occasions. Talk to you again soon.
Luv Carol K.