Friday, March 13, 2009

A Visit With Dr. Cutie . . .

Yesterday we saw Dr. Cutie for an update on how things are going.

Firstly, I had had a CT scan on March 6, but the imaging department for some reason didn't compare the results to my latest MRI. Instead, they compared it to the CT scan I had in October, so Dr. C is going to have them redo the comparison. Therefore, I don't know if Charlene has grown, shrunk, or stayed the same.

Secondly, we start the next round of chemo on Monday. My blood looks good, my weight is up about seven pounds, I am tolerating the side effects well, so we're good to go.

Thirdly, the chemo definitely alleviated the fluid buildup around my organs, but it all came back during the past two weeks with no chemo. I look about five months pregnant. I was actually able to wear blue jeans for a week or so but I'm now back in overalls so I don't have anything tight around my waist (I find it quite uncomfortable to have anything tight around my middle). Dr. Cutie suggested that we start the chemo and, if the fluid doesn't drain off in the first week or so, we'll drain it the old-fashioned way with a big needle. He also suggested that we may try eliminating the two-week chemo vacation and instead administer the two "easy" chemo drugs during those weeks (Leukovorin and Fluorouracine) and see if that keeps the fluid off.

That's where things stand at the present time.

I sure am enjoying the sunshine we have had the past few days. Even though it has been chilly, the strength of the sun is definitely increasing. Soon, I hope, the snow will be melting and we'll finally get to spring.

-- Lori

No comments: