Tuesday, March 10, 2009

My Visit With the Horses . . .

I have been having a pretty quiet time these past few days. Not having the chemo has allowed me to eat really well, get some much-needed rest, and save up some strength for the next round. Last Friday I went for my CT scan and will get the results Thursday when I see Dr. Cutie.

Unfortunately, the fluid buildup around my organs is back. The chemo did alleviate the problem but it has gradually built up again during this chemo break.

Since the next couple of days are going to be cold and windy, I took the opportunity yesterday to slip out of the city to visit my sister and bro-in-law and the horses. Had there been no wind, it would have been a beautiful day; you could actually feel the heat of the sun if you were standing in a spot where the wind couldn't get at you. The horses were all in a good mood. For some reason, they all seemed to be fascinated by my hat yesterday. It's just a hat, made of polar fleece type material, but they all had to have a good look at it, feel it with their lips, smell it thoroughly - Sparky even licked it! In smelling it, they also stuck their noses right in my face and we "shared breath". It's quite something to find yourself staring right into the nostrols of a horse who is curious about you and needs to have a good smell of you.

Pearl, the old mare and the newest member of the herd, is a placid old thing and I gave her a good rubbing with my mitts. She let me work her from head to stern, just rubbing up her all over and getting some of the loose hairs free. All the horses are starting to shed, so my winter coat, in addition to cat and dog hair, is now covered with the hair of four horses as well!

Hopefully these next few days will see the last of the cold weather and we can get along with spring.

-- Lori

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Lori, Isn't the smell of a horse's nose/muzzle the best in the whole world? I used to delight in that particular olfactory sensation as a kid, and I'm still hooked on it. My Dad reminds me that you can't do that with every horse, you have to know them cause a horse bite to the face could be a real improvement in my case. Other than the traditional curry combs and brushes, we used to use saws on the horses coats in the spring. We'd bow them into a curve and gently scrape off the winter coat. Those horses shone like apples after that treatment, and would all come a runnin' when they'd see the saw come out. Funny little traits and characteristics, such individuality and personality in each member of the herd. No mistaking who the boss was either. I'm so sorry to hear about the fluid buildup again, hopefully the next course will alleviate that for you. I've been down and out with a horrific bout of pnumonia so I wouldn't dare show up at your place and infect you with it. Quite the winter for bugs, ear infections, lung infections and the like. I'm wondering too if you've been warned about being around smokers, as the mold "aspargillis"(sp)? is released when tobacco is ignited. I don't mean being around a lit smoke, but around smoke on clothing, hair etc. Just curious. I'd imagine you'll be tired tonight, but I'm going to try to get in touch with you on the phone, we haven't chatted for awhile now, time to catch up?
Take care, love Bev Johnston