Monday, January 26, 2009

What the Doctor Said . . .

First off, let me apologize for not updating my blog last week after my appointment with Dr. Cutie. Really, there wasn't much to tell because he didn't get the MRI results on time. The only thing that we determined at the appointment is that I have some fluid building up around my internal organs and that makes my stomach look distended and feel rather uncomfortable and full all the time.

The fluid buildup is not a great cause for concern. It can be drained in a clinical procedure, although I suspect it may be an uncomfortable procedure for me! I can just bet they'll use a big old needle, jab it in my side, and suck the fluid out!

Dr. Cutie said that he would track down the MRI and call me Friday; if he wasn't able to get the results Friday, I was to go for chemo as scheduled today and he would find me and we'd have a chat. Fortunately, he did get the results and called late Friday afternoon.

Unfortunately, there is bad news. The tumor has grown, in his words, a bit. How much a bit is I don't know. Any growth is not good news because we're trying to shrink that damned thing. He also suggested that we try a new chemotherapy drug that has shown some success and is newly available in Manitoba. I believe he said it has only been used for the past six weeks or so and he must get approval to give it to me. It's more aggressive than the gemcitibine I have been getting. We will be meeting with him again this Thursday to discuss the side effects, the possible good effects, and all that.

I would have written this update over the weekend, but I had a rather busy Saturday. I went out to my sister's place (despite the dreadfully cold temperatures). We didn't spend much time with the horses because of the cold, but it was nice to get out of the house and have a good visit with her and my brother-in-law. Yesterday I just didn't feel like writing.

I am sure looking forward to the warmer temperatures later this week. With no insulating body fat, I get chilled to the bone almost immediately when I get outside, even though I dress in several layers and always wear a hat, scarf and warm mittens. I might even get out for a walk one of these fine days!

-- Lori

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there! I hope that Charlene begins to shrink quickly and do it soon.

Karen (kjoyful7@hotmail.com)