Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Darned Vandals . . .

One look out the window today, and I know I will be sticking close to home. Mother Nature sure is dragging this spring thing out as long as she can, isn't she? I wish she'd get her butt in gear and just let spring happen without all the stormy, snowy bits.

I titled this blog entry "Darned Vandals" because my car was vandalized over the weekend. Not terribly seriously, like years ago when my poor little Ford Fiesta had its tires slashed, windshield wipers torn off, a window smashed, and graffiti in black marker scribbled all over it. All they did was tear off the driver's side mirror. But still, with all I'm going through, I really didn't need the additional aggravation and hassle of getting my car fixed because some idiot decided to have some "fun" at my expense.

Chemotherapy went well this week; it is the week with the easier drugs. I am still shedding hair at a higher than average rate but you cannot yet tell that it's dropping out. Once I get looking ratty, I'm shaving my head.

The fluid buildup around my organs is remaining pretty constant, fluctuating between 31 and 32 inches so I am physically fairly comfortable. It still causes pain but I have really good drugs.

Mac is doing about the same as he was when I posted last. His cough is happening less often but seems to be more severe when it happens. The poor thing just hacks and hacks and hacks, and there is really nothing we can do for him. The vet called last night and confirmed that the growth in his mouth is a sarcoma (cancer) of the cartilage. Fortunately, it is a slow growing cancer that takes a long time to spread to other parts of the body, so his heart will likely give out before cancer can take him. As I have said before, the cancer could probably be removed but the vet thinks Mac's chances of surviving the surgery are pretty low given his heart condition. Sigh!

That's all I have to report today. I'm not going to say another word about this weather. Every time I do, we seem to get snow.

-- Lori

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about the vandals just what you don't need for sure. I heard that you guys were getting snow, I certainly hope it all goes away quickly as I am itching to come back for a holiday. We are planning on leaving Texas in May hopefully arrive in once piece in June. My granddaughter graduates at the end of June. We plan an staying north of Winnipeg for a few months. Take care, look at your blog and think of you every day. Jan Wilkes-Baldwin ... Austin

Anonymous said...

Those darm Vandals....it is such senseless stuff. I would much prefer if someone just took the car and had fun, instead of just wrecking stuff.

I am officially retiring from TSSD oopsthat would be RETSD. Paper work done, not just waiting for the parties. I am all about that. LOL
Just to let you know that I am thinking of ya....Laurie Sodomlak

Anonymous said...

Hey Lori
Sorry to hear about the vandals - that really sucks. I too am tired of the snow. I can't wait to see the geese come back.
Our dog, Taz also has an off again on again hacking cough (he too has cancer). The vet gave us hycodan for it. It is a cough suppressant that can be given as needed. Seems to work pretty good. It may help make Mac more comfortable.
Take care of yourself.
Donna Smith (nee Reid)

Anonymous said...

Lori, Sorry to hear about your car. I know all to well what a pain in the butt it is. My car was stolen two times & the only damage was the steering column, after the 2nd time she had to find a new home. I couldn't do a 3rd.
Glad to hear that you are getting out to your sister's to enjoy your horses!!! Think of you all often!!
take care!!