Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Bad Days . . .

This is one of the hardest blog entries I have had to write.

The last week has been pretty tough on me and my family. Our beloved dog, Mac, has been ill, as you know if you have been reading this blog. Last Wednesday, he took a definite turn for the worse. He refused to take his medication even though we tried disguising it in several different tempting morsels. When we offered them to him, he would raise his head, sniff it, then simply turn his head away. He also stopped eating. He drank water, but wouldn't touch any food.

On top of that, as the days passed he pretty much stopped moving except to go from his water bowl to his blanket in the living room. He also became incontinent. He seemed unable to let us know when he needed to go out, but would pee wherever he happened to be. For a dog who very rarely had an accident in the house, this was humiliating for him, I am sure. He always looked ashamed, as if asking our forgiveness for peeing in the house.

We tried carrying him outside. He would find a sunny place to lie down and then stay there until we came to bring him in. A couple of times he wandered a short distance around the yard, but he couldn't go very far and became exhausted almost immediately.

We finally made the decision to have him put down. Yesterday morning my mother and children took him to the vet and he died very peacefully with all three of them with him and the girls holding him. I just couldn't face being there, so I stayed home and cried.

To make matters even more emotionally difficult, we had decided a few months ago to get another dog. Cliff has always wanted a hunting dog, so he has been looking for a trained hunting dog needing a new home. There are, believe it or not, many good dogs that need to be rescued out there, and there are many breed-specific rescue websites. Last week, Cliff was notified that he had been approved for one of the dogs he applied to adopt, so we got this new dog on Monday.

I feel almost like we betrayed Mac, bringing a new dog into he house when he was so sick, but the timing just happened and we hadn't much choice in the matter. I still feel very bad about it.

We are having Mac cremated and plan to put some of his ashes in our garden, and some out at my mom and dad's cabin in Alberta, where he loved to go every summer. As I sit here and write this, tears are streaming down my face because I loved that little mutt and no other dog will ever replace our beloved Mac.

-- Lori

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Lori, I know just how you feel about putting a pet down. It has to be one of the worst things to do. They are such a part of the family and have such a hold on your heart. We know that the decision is always the right one to make, but it is still so very difficult. "Been there. done that"! I said I would never have another dog..our's was 17 years old when we had to put him down..that was 18 years ago. Would you believe two old retirees decided it was time again to hear the patters of four feet around the house so we bought a puppy 3 years ago. Best thing we've ever done. However, we still haven't convinced him that this is OUR house and we have OUR RULES that should be followed. What can you say when those big black eyes look at you. He's a little maltese that sits right smack dab in the middle of our hearts. Just remember...Mac's memories are like pictures...they'll stay with you forever. Take care my friend.. and enjoy this gorgeous spring weather. luv Carol K.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for you all. diane M.

Anonymous said...

Oh Lori,

I'm so sorry that it was Mac's time to go. I know how you feel -- I had to let Red go at the end of September. Take heart in knowing that you gave Mac a really great existence and that you didn't prolong his suffering. He was telling you that he was ready to go and I'm sure he was grateful that you understood his wishes.

I also think that Mac would be very happy that your family decided to adopt another dog that needed a home because Mac knows that a dog without a home is one that will not know the meaning of love.

Hugs to you and your family,
Claudia

Frances said...

I am so sorry to hear about Mac. You will miss him.
Frances

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear about Mac - you will miss him.
Frances

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry Lori. I know how hard it is to lose a pet. It is like losing a family member or a best friend. Take solice in the fact that you gave him a good life - shelter, food, and lots and lots of love.
Take care
Donna Smith

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry Lori. I know how hard it is to lose a pet. It is like losing a family member or a best friend. Take solice in the fact that he had a good life with you and was loved a lot.
Take care.
Donna Smith

Anonymous said...

Hi there,
I am Gay's sister from Oshawa..
I have been following this blog also,,,
I had to put down my beloved poodle "Tasha" with only 2 days notice,( she was 16 or 17, and can relate to this blog.. We had been trying to adopt another dog(rescue), we have one more at home, and the call came that we had not 1, but 2 coming only 3 days after we lost her. I still feel like I never had a chance to mourne.....
Remember the joy that you had..
Remember the good times...

Anonymous said...

Lori and family,
I am so sorry. I'm thinking about you...
Donna Mc.

Anonymous said...

Oh Lori, I am so sorry to hear about your wee Mac. I know how much you love him, and you always will. I understand the impact of this kind of thing, and it really is the loss of a family member you are feeling. I'm so grateful that Mac had you guys to love him all these years, and you'll no doubt feel him around you lots in the weeks to come. My Jayda cat is always with me, and it has been years now since he died. I hope that is a comfort to you and not a "creepy old lady" thing to say. If you need to talk, please let me know, anytime.
Love always, Bev Johnston

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about this, Lori. I know how devastating it can be to lose a beloved pet that has become a member of the family. It's heartbreaking. They give us SO much - it's hard to feel we can do enough in return. But I'm sure you did a great job and he had an awesome life.

- Cheryl Moore