Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Fourth Chemotherapy Treatment And Other Interesting Stuff . . .

Yesterday's chemo treatment went very much like last week's, and so far I have only had a little nausea to deal with. I should have posted a bit more about the itch last week. It came on again but was very mild and was pretty much gone after a couple of days. Let's hope that this week I don't get any itch at all! (Fat chance!)

That's all I have to say about chemo. I have something much more interesting to talk about.

Those of you who know me well might know that I am and have always been a great lover of horses and have never got over the yearning to own a horse that started when I was just a kid. As young kids, my sister and I did have ponies; ponies are not at all the same thing, especially these particular ponies. They were ex-chuckwagon ponies and were not very friendly or rideable so they scared us half to death. It was a real trial to try to do anything with them, and none of the adults around us seemed interested in helping us learn how to handle the ponies. So we never really got to experience what it was like to have a good, dependable, friendly, rideable horse.

My sister has given me a gift that, even now, I hardly know how to thank her for: she has given me one of her horses.

I would like you all to meet KS Bar Winchester, A.K.A. Charlie Bear and known familiarly as Bear.


He is a young horse, not yet trained for riding, but he's got a lovely, playful disposition and he seems to like me. The first time we met he tried to hug me to death. I got up under his neck to scratch his breast and shoulders and he kind of pinned me under his neck and head and gave me a good squeeze. It was rather startling, but I guess he liked the scratching and didn't want to let me go!

Hope you all are having a good holiday season!

-- Lori

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is just a wonderful gift Lori. You brought us all to tears here. Wonderful.

Anonymous said...

That is fantastic Lori, I'm a real horse lover myself, and grew up with many horses on the farm. I truly believe that horses house the souls of angels, and are here to help us. Also, as with all other animals, it is safe to love them with all your being, as they don't know how to let down or hurt anyone. Your horse Bear will share a special love and bond with you that's amazingly strong and so healing and healthy. Love Bev.

Canadian Dreams said...

Wow, Lori, that is great. Pays to have a generous sister! (I have two) Enjoy every moment with Bear!