Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Chemotherapy - Week 3, Session 2 . . .

Yesterday was my second chemotherapy session, and it went much, much better than last week.

I now have a PICC in my left arm above my elbow. For those who don't know what a PICC is, it's a permanent line that goes into a vein in the arm, then follows the vein up and into the main vein leading to the heart. Last week, they tried three times and were unsuccessful at putting one in; this week it went in easy as pie. What this means for me is that I no longer have to have nurses poking away at my eeny weeny veins every time they have to draw blood or give me a chemo treatment (or any other kind of IV, for that matter).

The only negatives to having a PICC is that I have to keep it dry so I can't take any hydrotherapy (hot baths). I have to make do with showers and wear a plastic sleeve thingy over the PICC to keep it dry. A minor inconvenience to be sure.

My blood count was much better this week; much, much better! So I was able to have my second chemotherapy treatment. With the PICC in, they were able to give me the entire treatment in half an hour as opposed to a whole hour. Since the chemo drug goes into the large heart vein where there is lots of blood flow, it gets diluted very quickly. In the small arm veins, they have to slow the flow way down because there is less blood flow and the chemo drug can actually burn the vein walls.

So far there have been no side effects to the chemo treatment. I am not the least bit nauseated or itchy. Last time the itch showed up a couple of days after the chemo, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't come back. The rash has just nicely cleared up.

During this bitterly cold spell, I am thinking of all of you that have to get out of bed in the dark early morning hours, bundle up into warm winter clothing, warm up your cars and wend your way to work, hoping that there will be no stalled cars or accidents blocking your paths. I don't have to do that, being on medical leave; but I'd sure rather be doing that than what I am doing. Count your blessings, folks.

On the upside of the cold spell, my sister bought me a present for which I am very grateful: red wool, cotton lined one-piece long johns with a button flap in the back. Man, they are so warm and cozy. And sexy, too! She also bought me a set of white wool two piece long underwear, much more appropriate for medical visits. Even when I have to leave the house I can be well layered in clothing and stay nice and warm. This is important since I have almost no body fat to keep me warm and I get chilled right to the bone.

Here's hoping the cold will break soon.

My next chemo appointment is on December 22; I know most of you will be off for the Xmas break, but I will update my blog and let you know what's going on right through the break.

Have a peaceful holiday season!

-- Lori

No comments: