Sunday, August 16, 2009

Obituary

Mom had told us she wrote her obituary on her 'computer'. In her passing we searched her account on our home computer trying to find it. Well, today I(Tara) found it. On her personal LAPTOP! So here I am posting the obituary she wrote for herself all the while hitting myself on the forehead . . .

Lori Lea Ludman (nee Lumley)
March 4, 1964, to __________________, 2009


When you read this, you will know that my struggle against pancreatic cancer has been lost. Don’t mourn for me too much; I have been delivered from a life of pain and have gone for my Big Sleep.

I was born In Lloydminster, SK, to Cynthia (nee McLaren) and Melvin Lumley, the first of two daughters. I had a wonderful childhood, living in town and yet being able to spend lots of time on my grandparents’ farm. I had the best of both worlds.

I graduated with honours from high school in 1982 and went immediately to work for D.A. Cleal and Associates as an optometric assistant. In 1984, I met Cliff, who would be the love of my life. In 1986, he proposed both marriage and moving to Winnipeg, both of which I agreed to, and we arrived here in August of 1986, marrying on August 2. My first few months here were tough because I was very homesick.

My first job here was at Overhead Door of Winnipeg where I worked until 1990 when my eldest daughter, Kyra, was born, and I quit to take up the very best job I ever had – being an at-home mom. Tara was born in 1991. The pay was lousy, but the perks and rewards were precious indeed. I consider myself very fortunate to have been involved so closely in their early years.

In 1999, I started working as a casual clerk for Transcona-Springfield School Division. After TSSD amalgamated with River East SD, I was hired permanently and worked at the Administration Offices up until my cancer surgery. I can honestly say I have never worked with a nicer, smarter, friendlier group of people, and I regret that my time there was so short.

I leave this world believing that I have had a good life, an interesting life, and I hope I have had a positive impact on others on my journey. When you remember me, I hope the memory brings a smile to your face.

Flowers are a nice gesture, but they only touch the family. Your donation to CancerCare Manitoba will touch many, many lives, maybe even the lives of people you know, so please give generously. Donations can be sent to:

A celebration of Lori’s life will be held ______________________ at Wheeler Funeral Chapel, ___________________.




I feel bad that her own written obituary never made it to where it really should have been and so I post it here so everyone can read it. I left the blanks mom put empty because, well, it's how I found it.

I believe this may be the last entry in this blog but I won't delete it; not now, not ever. This way we can all look back at these entries in the future and one day smile at the memories of Mom.


I hope everyone is doing well.
Best wishes to all!
Tara Lin Ludman

4 comments:

Jeff said...

Tara, I found your mom's blog somewhat by accident. Your mom was one of the smartest, sharpest people I have ever had the honour of meeting. I was going to get you guys a perennial plant for the yard to remember your mom, but now that I have read her own obit, will make a donation to Cancer Care instead.
I also wanted to tell you and your sister and dad that after I had told the boys that your mom had passed, Logan came to me a little while later and told me that he wants to have a pool tournament to raise money for pancreatic cancer research. He has already talked to Jasmine, Jeremy's girlfriend who bartends at Miss Qs and she says it may take a while to set up but she will totally support him (yeah, I know, some people are going to give me flak for 'letting' a 12 year old have anything to do with a pool hall....but....... I'll keep you posted on what happens with this. Take care of yourselves. Monica across the street.

Anonymous said...

What a great obit written by a great lady. I do have many memories which I will cherish. Thanks for sharing your mom with us all. Carol K.

Anonymous said...

Tara and Kyra,

You are both shining examples of your mom... I know she always talked of how proud she was of you both, with her special way with words. She has a kind and loving heart. It's wonderful of you to keep up with the blog so friends and family are informed of what's still happening now that she is gone. My thoughts and prayers are with you both, and your dad, and your grandparents during this difficult time in your life. Have a safe trip when you go for the internment in Alberta, and know that her many friends will be with you in spirit. We think of you often. Brenda

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I came back to visit here one more time. It was nice to read Lori's obit in her own words. What a great loss.

- a co-worker of Lori's