Friday, June 12, 2009

A Rough Couple of Weeks . . .

For the last four days I have been trying to log in and make a post, but I kept getting an error message. Finally I got on tonight. Lots of catching up to do.

On June 2, I had a CT scan and saw Dr. Cutie on the 4th. The results of the scan are not good. The tumor has grown to about 9 centimetres. The chemo I was on was not working either to shrink the tumor or to allay the cancer side effects (the fluid build up around my organs) so I have been taken off chemo. There are no other chemo drugs that will do anything for me.

Since there are no further treatment options, I have been referred to palliative care at St. Boniface General Hospital. I spoke to one of their reps today; sounds like an excellent organization.

The fluid buildup got bad again, so I saw Dr. Cutie again on June 8. This time they drained off 3.25 litres. Picture in your mind a four litre milk jug and take out three cups of milk. The milk left in the jug is how much they drained from me. You can imagine how much of a relief it was to have the burden of that weight taken off. It is coming back; I can feel it. I will likely have to be drained again next week. Lucky for me it's a very easy procedure.

I had an adventure last Friday. I went out into our backyard, took a couple of steps along the sidewalk, and keeled over. It was almost as if someone turned my legs off because they just went out from under me. I landed on my chin and split it open by about a centimetre and a half, and my jaw is out of whack right now, but otherwise I am uninjured. The worst part is that I can't chew because of my jaw; my teeth don't line up. This makes eating very difficult, doubly so because I am very hungry. Being off the chemo has brought my appetite back.

Anyway, my folks took me to Concordia's emergency room. I was seen almost immediately, was checked over, X-rayed (no breaks or cracks in the bones), and my split chin was fixed up. For those of you who have thought my use of Crazy Glue to cover paper cuts, guess what they used on my chin! Crazy Glue! Medical grade of course, in a sterile little bottle.

Well, that's all I have to report right now. Have a great weekend!

-- Lori

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lori, Great to hear from you. You're right you have had quite a rough couple of weeks. The fall was the "coup de gras". Thank God for crazy glue. I can't imagine all the liquid be drained from you when you are so tiny on a good day. I have always admired your little figure. ..little but tough, right?!!! Isn't it great to see the sun. Rumour has it that it may stick around for the next couple of days. Hope you can get out and enjoy it, but do watch your step! I think I'll take advantage of the sun and dig out some dandelions and weeds and then sit with a good book. Keeping you in my thoughts as prayers,
as always Carol K.

Anonymous said...

Lori,

I'm so sorry to hear the chemo wasn't working and that you had such a nasty fall. I remember some of my patients who were hankerin' for a cheeseburger but they had their jaws wired shut thanks to a fight or some such incident. A thick milkshake was the best we could do. I hope you're able to enjoy the food you want very soon and that the cessation of the chemo also brings back other familiar feelings.

Lighting a candle for you,
Claudia

Anonymous said...

Hi, Lori! It's Lisa! Took Cree language lessons. Wow what a hard language. I admire you even more for being able to remember what you can! Had a lot of fun though.
Yikes, your fall sounds nasty. Good to know they patched you up.
I'm sending out good energy to you, keetwam ka wapamitin (phonetic spelling for See you later in cree!) lisa

Anonymous said...

I'm checking back here regularly to keep up with how you're doing. I'm sorry to hear you've had such a tough time of it lately. And a fall to top it off! Honestly, you're being tested like Job! I hope you're enjoying the gorgeous weather we've had lately and letting the sun warm your face. Wish the mosquitoes could make themselves useful and help drain some of that annoying fluid, eh? Many miss you at work and I hear you mentioned often.

Cheers,
Cheryl M.

Canadian Dreams said...

You're in my thoughts and prayers daily Lori. You have tremendous strength. I admire your courage.
I too hope you are able to enjoy the sunshine and the summer air.