Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Guinea Pig Reports . . .

I just got back from my appointment with Dr. Cutie. He wanted to see me today basically to find out how Guinea Pig Patient is doing with the new chemotherapy regime.

So I reported on all the side effects I have had, none of which have been very bad, and reported a few side effects that may or may not be from the chemotherapy.

Chemotherapy side effects:
After the Fluorouracin - diarrhea, tiredness
After the Oxaliplatin - nausea, lower appetite, sensitivity to cold (tingly fingers), tiredness, dopiness (may or may not be a side effect of chemo; might be guinea pig's natural state)

Possible chemotherapy side effect:
After the Flurouracin - weepiness

The weepiness is a new one, started this week right after my chemotherapy treatment on Tuesday. It's really stupid and embarrassing, but I am crying at the drop of a hat and am starting to get dehydrated! I had to look up the word "primordial" last night because I was unsure of its exact meaning, and it made me cry! I mean, how stupid is that????

Otherwise, I am tolerating the chemicals very well and Dr. Cutie is very pleased. The fluid buildup around my organs has dropped considerably since I started the new regime and the doc has asked me to continue measuring my circumference so we can see if it goes away completely. We also need to see if the buildup will return at all during my two week vacation from chemotherapy.

I am scheduled for a CT scan on March 6. Usually, a CT or MRI wouldn't be done until after a couple of cycles of chemo had passed but because I'm the guinea pig, they are wanting to monitor the size of the tumor very closely. I got a hoot out of the instructions for this CT scan: It is preferable to wear clothing with no buttons, zippers or snaps. If I comply with this, I'll be going to the scan in my granny nightgown, because it's about the only thing I own that doesn't have a button, zipper or snap! Maybe I'll just go naked and wrapped in a blanket. It would save some time changing into a hospital gown. HAHAHAHAHA!

Did anybody besides me notice how beautiful the sky is today? If you didn't, make sure to get outside and see what a bright, intense blue it is today. Then find yourself a little sunny nook guarded from the wind and notice how strong the sun is getting. It may still be cool outside, but spring is just around the corner. The spring equinox, the first day of spring, is just four weeks from tomorrow.

-- Lori

No comments: